Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend wonders

What a weekend! Mallory decided to add all kinds of new tricks to her repertoire. First and foremost: the "brrrm" sound she started making with her lips, like she's playing with cars. A modification is pursing her lips and blowing spit with and without adding her tongue to make raspberries. Along with blowing spit bubbles and doing her gecko impersonation with her tongue, this is her new status quo. She also started squealing and laughing, though she's still testing them out. Ironically the squeal is mostly not an expression of joy. It's more of an indication of exasperation for not getting her way - like when she's quit nursing and is just playing, and I move her to my shoulder to burp her, she'll squeal with her whine. Little drama queen cracks me up. She is going to be quite the handfull. In fact she already is. Man, talk about strong willed ... but I digress. Judging by her expression, laughing takes her a bit by surprise. While it hasn't developed into a full fledged giggle, she will get a couple heh-heh's out in sucession. I can't wait til she really gets going!

I saved the best news for last: Mallory graduated from her basinet to her crib! Hurray! Starting Friday morning, I fed her in her room then put her in her crib for naps. Kyle moved the rocking chair upstairs and that night went beautifully. She went to bed around 8, and got up at her normal 2 and 5:30. It was SO nice to have our room back. But Saturday and Sunday were pure hell. Saturday "night," between 2 and 5:30 she woke up every half hour. I finally just got in bed in the guest bedroom next to hers so I wouldn't have to truck up and down the stairs. I was literally a zombie all day. I mistakenly thought she'd be as exhausted as I was and actually sleep last night. While not nearly as bad as Saturday, it was good either. My addled brain no longer remembers the details, but she got up every 2.5 to 3 hours from the minute she went to bed until the sun was up, and at 4AM she spit up all over my shoulder and down my back, on the rocking chair and all over the pillow. Sigh.

I nearly cried when Kyle left for work this morning, not knowing how I was going to function. But some higher power must have been watching. He got all the way downtown and in the elevator of his building before he realized he'd left his laptop here at home. He met with his boss briefly then came back to "work from home" for the rest of the day. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: