Thursday, September 4, 2008

Alas

Zantac wasn't working. It seemed to help the first couple of days, but then Mallory went right back to 'normal' and in fact had gotten worse over the holiday weekend. She started spitting up after every feeding plus a couple of times in between, was terribly fussy and had a few episodes of inconsolable crying. The spitup quantities were substantial enough that we called a nurse triage line. They told us she had a blockage and to go to the hospital. Now, there are times when I think I'm being overly neurotic with regard to her reflux, but blockage? C'mon. If she had a blockage she wouldn't have been oscillating between happy-smiley cooing and screaming. Right? Right. I also would have expected dry/clean diapers ... Instead, we went to the doctor again yesterday. Mind you, we were just there a couple of days ago b/c Mallory broke out with eczema all over the place. Frankly I think it might have been a reaction to the baby oil I used on her or was potentially a reaction to something I ate and is not just run of the mill eczema, but we'll see. Anyway, back to the story... our pediatrician explained what the nurse might have been thinking with the blockage nonsense (pyloric stenosis), and suggested we simply try a different prescription. I'm now mixing up a Mylanta + Zegerid concoction. Mallory absolutely hates it and sputters and screams like crazy when we give it to her. But, it seems to be helping? Of course it's only been 24hrs, so fingers crossed ... but she's been a lot easier to burp and has been keeping things down so much better. She's also eating more, less often and is actually napping!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

sorry to hear the zantac didn't work. Hopefully you're on the right track now. Thanks for finally posting a picture! ;) Love the onesie!