Monday, October 22, 2007

Ghosting

So there's a little neighborhood game that I learned back in my Round Rock subdivision days. A wily neighbor fills a bag with candy, leaves it on your doorstep, rings the bell, and runs away. [Aside: I call these boo bags]. You hang the provided ghost in your window (so as not to get ghosted again), copy the instructions, and return the favor to 3 un-ghosted neighbors. Well, we got ghosted twice b/c Grandmere is a tad behind the times, and I didn't clue in fast enough. She thought the original bag had been left for The Boy by a nice neighbor and I didn't question it. It wasn't until the second boo bag showed up that I got suspicious and looked at them a little more closely. So, up went the ghost in the window, but we now had 6 bags to distribute. The Boy was quite excited about the fun to be had. He helped pick out the candy and cut out all the ghosts. He then targeted three of his classmates who live on our street. One answered, one didn't, and one had already been ghosted (drat). He selected random houses for the other four bags -- including a friend and former co-worker's house. I'll let you read his own account of Strike three, or how The Boy got busted (my title, not his). Mind you, getting caught scared the bejeezus out The Boy, but in a fun way. He didn't even pause before delivering the remaining two bags, despite a black cat crossing our path and a close call in the cul-de-sac :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I've never heard of Ghosting, but it sounds kind of fun. Do instructions come with the bag? I mean, how do you know what to do? Just curious...

CCT said...

Yes, the instructions and the ghost for your window come in the bag. There's a variation on the letter we received posted at
about.com .