Thursday, August 23, 2007

Blabbering

It was and then it wasn't
Well, Grandmere (my mom) has been in Austin for just over a week. She had received an offer on her house back in Jersey and was actively searching for and making offers on houses in Austin (got outbid by a competing offer on one, was active on another). Then her buyers backed out ... something about the gutters (the HOA's problem, not a new homeowner's) and the husband didn't think his car would fit in the garage (don't you think you'd figure that out before you put an offer on a house?). So she withdrew her active offer. And she got a speeding ticket that afternoon. Needless to say, not a very good day for the ol' momma-sita. But, our plans stand. Kyle will be flying up to NJ, packing her up, and driving her back to Austin in a couple of weeks. She'll stay with us until the real estate thing sorts itself out. She may not be entirely comfortable with the arrangement (tells me she feels like a "mouch"), but in the grand scheme of things, I think it's the best scenario for everyone. We need her in Austin to get our Franchise going ... and in part, to help keep an eye on The Boy. He's going to be a latch-key kid for the first time this year.

Synergy HomeCare Austin
Kyle met with a CPA and the wheels are in motion. We're forming an LLC, operating as an S-Corp. I don't understand all the ins and outs of it, but am confident that the CPA knows what she is doing, and trust that this is the best option. From what I do understand, the details are in how the company can distribute profits -- apparently they can be "paid" back to us tax free. This being the case, I now "get" how people are able to make boat loads of money by opening their own businesses (provided they are profitable). Fingers crossed that this is the case for us!

So, where are we? Kyle and I finished our business plan over the weekend and have now submitted it (the last piece) to the bank with whom we've filed for a small business loan. Once approved, we'll pay the remainder of our franchise fee and be one step closer to opening our doors. We've also signed and returned our franchise agreement. Mom and Kyle are slated to take an 8-hour administrative course online, after which we can file for the Texas state license. We're also still searching for office space, but we're definitely making progress on all fronts!

Traffic
UT orientation started this week. The first day of classes isn't until the 29th, but rush hour has already been impacted. AISD starts on the 27th. It's exciting b/c The Boy is going to a new school, right around the corner from our house. But, it's depressing b/c my 35min morning commute is about to come to a screeching halt. Last year, while school was in session, there were days that it took me over an hour to get to the office. I'm really not looking forward to it.

Diet
For those of you who might be wondering about Drew losing a couple pounds to make weight for the football team, he's been doing really well! He went running with us everyday this past weekend, and is eating very low carb, low fat foods. Apparently Grandmere has lost a bit of weight too, though Kyle and I are still holding steady ;) With any luck The Boy will squeak by at the weigh-in on Saturday morning, and be able to play in both scrimmages that afternoon.

Allergy Testing
Drew and I went to the doctor yesterday for allergy tests. In summary, he is allergic to dogs, spring trees, grasses, dust mites and indoor molds. I think this pretty much answers the question as to why his nose is almost always runny. Still no answer for me as to why I sporatically wheeze when I exercise, but the new theory is that a mild inclination towards exercise induced asthma may be triggered by environmental factors such as my allergies to grasses, fall weeds, spring trees, outdoor molds and cedar. We'll see. I'm testing an inhaler again to determine if actually using it consistently makes a difference or not.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

ooh, I feel for your mom. You wait and wait to get an offer and then it falls through. :( That is one of my worst nightmares right now. Hopefully she'll find a buyer soon!

Congrats on the business going so well. It must be pretty exciting! Any clue when you will open?

CCT said...

We're on track to open in November. Oddly enough our LLC application for "Synergy HomeCare Austin" got denied, no idea why. The franchise HQ is called Synergy HomeCare so I don't see what the problem is. We're submitting for "Synergy Austin" now. I wonder what McDonald's franchisees have to call themselves when they form a business?

Jessica said...

I know when Karen did an LCC for Go-Yen she called it Damselfly Designs. But that was to give her flexibility in case she wanted to do another design line/name. My point being, I don't think the LCC name has to be closely tied to the business name. Now I'm curious too, I wonder what McDonalds franchisees call themselves...