Monday, March 3, 2008

Baby overload

We took the plunge this weekend and finally registered for Mallory, aka Tiny (gotta kick that habit before the poor girl is born). Basically I read Baby Bargains (BB) from cover to cover, marked a bunch of pages, and waltzed us into Baby's R Us armed and ready. Even so, creating a registry in the land of sensory overload is a seriously daunting task (that place makes my head spin). We wound up going through the BB sample registry, finding the brand/flavor they recommended and just picking the color scheme we liked (if there was more than one choice). People who are familiar with the book will probably laugh at our carbon copy registry. We did not stray even once. And in fact, I was so pooped by the time we'd walked the entire store that I know there are things missing -- nothing essential thanks to BB, but there were misc items I'd meant to add (will have to do that later online). Of course, I also know from BB, that Baby's R US is not necessarily the most cost effective place to obtain every single item on the registry. But it seemed silly to me to create registries at 5 different places when one megalopolis has everything. I'm organized, but not that organized!

After Baby's R US we went to JC Penney at the mall to see if they had the crib we found online. As it turns out, there's not a single JCP in all of Austin that carries furniture anymore. Boo. So we went back to USA Baby to check pricing on the ones we liked there last weekend. Hurray! They were having a sale!! The exact same crib at USA baby was now even cheaper than I'd seen it online at JCP (who, if you're wondering, carries Munire furniture under the brand name "Baby Cache" and doesn't even bother to change the style name, making it extremely easy to comparison shop). So we bought a crib (the "Essex") and a dresser (the "Newport"). It might seem odd to take pieces from two different collections, but the Essex crib was a whopping $200 cheaper than the Newport crib and we liked it better anyway -- the style is a bit more simple. The Newport dresser on the otherhand was actually bigger than the Essex dresser for the same price, and we liked it's styling better. So there you have it. And I mean really, look at these pics -- is there that much difference between the two cribs? I promise you, no one will look at our nursery and ever think the furniture doesn't match :)











PS. Yes, I'm aware the Essex crib was recalled on 2/28. It's for manufacture dates up until Nov of 2007 and only effected the mattress height in its lowest position. Our crib will already have the new brackets to fix the problem, which makes it worth waiting 8-12 weeks for delivery.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats on getting all that done! How exhausting. Isn't Baby Bargains the best book? It was like my baby bible (especially since I couldn't go to a baby store). I like the furniture. And you know, furniture doesn't HAVE to come in sets. I don't think we have two pieces in our entire house from the same "collection". I like to call it eclectic. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my gawd...her crib doesn't match her dresser! How embarrassing.

:)

Kidding!