Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Getting closer

No matter how you look at it (and it seems every book/website breaks things down differently) we've hit the third trimester! 26 weeks down, 13ish to go. And I must say that while this has been an extremely easy pregnancy thus far (knock on something) I have noticed the shift into this last phase. My feet seem to swell up at the drop of a hat these days! I've kind of lost my appetite too (no worries, chocolate and ice cream are still in). And my tail bone has gotten even more bothersome, making an interesting combination: sit and put my feet up vs. walk around and watch my feet inflate :) I'm contemplating our exercise ball as an alternative to my chair at work. It won't help my feet, but it ought to make sitting at my desk all day long a more comfortable task. In response to the suggestion, CWH said, "this will be you: The Office Excercise Ball" Nice :)

Mallory was extremely active while we were in Hawaii (she even woke me up one night), but seems to have calmed down now that we're back to life in suburbia. I attribute this to the sharp decrease in exposure to direct sunlight, less movement on my part (gotta love the stereotypical desk job), and the relative quiet throughout the work day (sometimes my office is a bit like a morgue). She seemed responsive to the music in church on Sunday, and I think she must hear Kyle snoring, because she's bopping around every time I wake up during the night. And really, he makes such a racket it'd be hard to miss! (The earplugs I bought for Hawaii work great, in case you're wondering). She also seems to know when I'm talking/writing about her ;)

I started reading the Hypnobirthing book by Marie Mongan. The method basically boils down to relaxation, breathing and visualization -- very similar to yoga, as far as I can tell. And having obtained that floating sensation during corpse pose in the past, I can totally see how this method works in theory. I also figure, if I can finish a marathon & have a cavity filled without novocaine, I can at least try to deliver this child naturally. Which is not to say I don't intend to have a plan B. I'd just like to give it a shot and see what happens. Kyle tends to poo-poo yoga and from what I can tell, is convinced that labor has to be agonizing experience, so I'm not entirely sure he's on board with the notion. But we'll see. I have an appointment on Thursday and plan to ask my doctor if she knows anything about the method/her take on natural birth (she's also a mother and marathoner).

I meant to get a belly pic last night to commemorate this milestone, but forgot ;) I'll have to try again this evening.

No comments: