Fate's cruel joke
Last night the smoke detector, an otherwise innocuous device that gives off a faint yet lovely green glow over our bedroom door turned into nothing less than the instrument of fate's cruel joke. I had gone straight from work to dinner with Kyle's coworker and some clients (who conveniently also happen to be friends). When I got in a little past 10, I was on the phone with Kyle who had just made it to Portland on a flight that was supposed to have arrived at 4:45 in the afternoon (plane was in Denver at his connection, but the flight crew wasn't). I immediately heard an electronic chirping, and with a sinking heart walked around to find which smoke detector was running low on batteries. Of all the options, in all the rooms in our house it had to be the one in our bedroom - of course! Even if I weren't pregnant, there's about a zero chance in heck I'd be dragging a ladder from the garage into our bedroom at 10:00 at night. Not to mention the fact that the one and only ladder we own isn't even tall enough for anyone to reach the ceiling with it. Ugh! I had SO been looking forward to a night in my own bed without earplugs. But it was off to the guest bedroom for me. I just hope the stupid batteries actually run ALL the way out by the time I get home tonight, because Kyle isn't due back until 11PM and I might have to resort to something dramatic for some peace and quiet ... like calling a neighbor or using a baseball bat ;)
1 comment:
ours is hardwired into our complex.. so if I rip the battery out it just keeps on beeping. And, the side benefit.. they're so loud I could hear it downstairs when my neighbors were out of town and it beeped all.weekend.long! I feel your pain!
Post a Comment