Friday, February 6, 2009

Ear Infection

I was hoping we could go a whole year without an illness since we're "day care free". But alas, we just got back from the pediatrician's office and Mallory has an ear infection. It all started about three weeks ago. She woke up with some congestion - sounding like she needed to clear her throat. I called the doctor's office and spoke to a nurse. We got a humidifier and some saline nose drops and 7 to 10 days later, when I expected her to be free and clear she woke up completely stuffy. Her poor little nose was running and she could barely breathe :( But everything was colorless and she wasn't running a temperature that we could measure (stupid thermometer - we are SO getting a new one), so I figured we'd wait it out. And again, about a week later just when I was expecting things to get better - they got worse. Her nose started running all over again and this time it was not clear. She was more or less her happy go lucky self though, and I might not have called the doctor's office, but she started playing with her ears. Not pulling on them exactly (which she does when she's tired), but paying them more attention than she has in the past. I thought it was better to be safe than sorry. Sure enough, one ear OK - one ear not. For those of you playing along at home, that's 2 for 2 on gut feelings. Sometimes I feel like I'm being neurotic or over excitable or something - but I was right about the reflux and I was right about the ear infection, so I'm glad I've gone with my gut :)

In other news, Mallory weighed in at 17lbs 6oz at the doctor's office - meaning that she gained just over 2.5lbs in just six weeks! That's by far the best weight gain she's had since birth.

No comments: