The universe has spoken
Turns out I will not be returning to work after my maternity leave for even the short amount of time I had planned. I got laid off today. And while I had hoped to make it to my 3yr anniversary for stock option reasons, I am kind of glad that the decision to stay at home with Mallory has been made for me. I had thought that I'd go back to finish out the year and then evaluate whether or not to continue working after the holidays. Now I don't have to stress about how to juggle those couple of months.
For those of you who may be questioning the legality of losing one's job while on FMLA leave, it is apparently on the up and up. Essentially, if one would have been included in a group RIF (reduction in force) while not on maternity leave, then there's legal precedence to be included while on maternity leave. Nice, right?
4 comments:
Alright, WOW! Nice that the decision has been taken out of your hands because you aren't going to want to go back to work anyway. Congrats on joining the stay-at-home-mom corporation (sorry, the pay SUCKS!).
Glad you had such a great visit last week. Pretty exciting that they are moving down there!
Well crud and hooray all in one. Stay-at-home-mommydom is pretty fun though. We'll have to meet up for playdates once you and Miss M. are ready.
Thanks! Kind of exciting and scary all at the same time to be so freshly unemployed. And truth be told it is sort of a relief - I didn't really want to go back ;)
However, I'm contracting for my boss, Mike, again - starting any minute now, in fact. I'm just waiting for him to send over the consulting agreement. I certainly can't handle more than a few hours of work a week, but I think it'll be win-win for everyone.
It's a good thing! Working and feeling guilty about leaving your baby with someone else sucks! I survived, but wish I could have stayed home.
Post a Comment