Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sleep, glorious sleep

I know I'm still light years behind on my blog - and actually have unfinished drafts lurking about - but I'm so excited by Mallory's latest development I could do back flips. See, she's been a nut case since we got back from Hawaii - no exaggeration. I gave her a week to get herself back on track, and if anything all she did was get worse. The issue: nursing herself to sleep. We finally resorted to an intervention of the Ferber kind. Poor thing cried herself hoarse last night, while we went in to reassure her at the prescribed intervals for an hour and 15 minutes. The initial bedtime round wasn't too bad, but man, when she woke up again an hour later I almost cried - didn't think I could make it through another 75 minutes of screaming. Luckily she zonked out again after just one reassurance. She is one strong willed baby. Holy Schmoly. She easily burned 1,000 calories just kicking her feet in frustration/anger at not getting her way. Her tantrums are going to be humdingers, I tell ya. But I digress. Thankfully she only got up once (to eat) between that second round and morning. I was so happy I didn't even mind that it was only 6:15. And that's not even the exciting part. The exciting part is that she's asleep in her crib as I write this. She was just starting to act nutty, so I rocked her for a minute or two then laid her down. She rolled around and played for about 10mins then started to complain, but not cry. I offered her a binky*, she rolled around for a bit more and now she's O-U-T. Halleluja! I'm so psyched. Fingers crossed that tonight goes just as smoothly as this nap just did!

* Last night I figured we'd cross the binky bridge another day, if it helped us get through the night - since most of the time she plays with it like a toy rather than depends on it for comfort. She wouldn't take it, which I guess is a good thing. But what really surprised me was that she didn't suck her thumb either - and she'd been doing that off and on all day! Such a silly baby, she was literally holding out for some boob.

1 comment:

Rachel Jordan Shuss said...

Hooray and congrats! Here's wishing the Turner household sweet, sweet dreams. BTW: the last line of this post made me laugh out loud. I will call you soon to schedule a visit so we can catch up in person. - Hugs, Raitch