Monday, January 28, 2008

Back in the swing of things?

So now it's been over a month since my last post. Suffice it to say I barely survived the holidays with our overly-full house and CES alive -- and not without drama. But I did manage to have some fun along the way. For instance, we saw, or mostly saw (missed the first 3 acts) Spamalot while I was in Vegas. It's worth the ticket if you're a Monty Python fan. And I've finally had the time to read a couple of noteworthy books: My Sister's keeper, How full is your bucket, and Escape - a totally fascinating, if not terribly well written story. Now that there's a lull at work it seems apropos to fill some of my down time in the office writing an update ;)

However, this post is likely to be boring, since most of the thoughts in my head aren't fodder for a blog. I'll summarize life like this: mom's house still hasn't sold (she has an offer, but it's contingent on the buyer's divorce being finalized among other things), we still don't have any money coming into our franchise (though there's plenty of money going out), and I'm feeling quite depressed about the weight I've gained with this pregnancy thus far. In fact, I guess you could say I'm feeling quite depressed in general. No particular reason for it, I'm just not interested in dealing with people. Kyle yes, everyone else -- not so much. Maybe being anti-social is a preggo thing?

However, I have resolved to get back into an exercise routine. So maybe that will help things all around? I managed to run on Saturday and run/walk on Sunday, so that's a good start I guess. Mind you, it's almost impossible to find maternity exercise clothing. Trust me, I spent an entire day searching the web. Sure there's lots of yoga stuff out there for expecting moms, but not a lot of actual fitness clothing. It basically boils down to two options: Fit Maternity and Born Fit -- both of which are expensive. Real expensive. So I bit the bullet and got some Born fit bottoms 20% off at a local store, and ordered some size-appropriate sports bras online, since Academy quit carrying the ones I like (since when did Academy get too high and mighty to carry the Champion brand?). For tops I think I'll just get some tanks at Old Navy or something and call it done. Though I might need a swim suit if the elastic in my speedo isn't stretched out enough ;) I'm actually afraid to try it on and have been avoiding lap swim because of it...

Speaking of maternity: tomorrow is officially day 1 of week 19. Physically, I'm still feeling perfectly normal. While I can still totally reach my feet, I can't bend in quite the same way as I used to and I can sadly foresee the day when tying my own shoes is going to be an issue. Attached is a pic of Tiny from the ultrasound last week. Hopefully we'll be able to determine his/her gender at our next appointment!

Oh, and one last comment before I close: science fair projects suck for parents/step parents. Especially when your step child is accustomed to his mother nearly (or completely) doing a good portion of his project work for him. Sigh. What has become of today's youth? Has our fear to kick them out of the house to "play until the street lights come on" created a generation of irresponsible, must-be-constantly-entertained kids?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to throw out there that I clearly didn't have help on my science fair projects and now I don't like science so much... Connection? Probably not. But, what you should do is ask mom about the time she woke up to find dead earthworms all over the kitchen floor. That will give you something to be happy about!