Onions
This post is dedicated to one of my closest friends and fellow blogger, Jess.
1) Thanks to a recommendation from Jessica a while back (before I was even pregnant), it looks as though we have landed a great pediatrician for Tiny. I called yesterday to see if Dr. Brown was accepting new patients, and she wasn't -- as I expected for that day. But get this: her schedule was also closed to newborns through May! Holy crap. Good thing Tiny is due in June. And good thing I called five months in advance. We are now officially on the list! The girl I spoke with said we can fill out the hospital pre-registration forms/tell our OB that as of right now Dr. brown is our pediatrician. Hurray for Tiny!
Wondering what a pediatrician has to do with onions? Bear with me.
2) Last night Jess blogged about a dinner time showdown with her daughter over Ravioli, and it reminded me of the story I'm about to share. Hang in there Jess! Hope this post makes you smile :)
A few weeks ago I had gotten home from work early, and while The Boy was upstairs playing Wii I decided to actually cook something for dinner (as opposed to heating something out of a bag/box/can). For a few minutes I stood in front of the freezer/fridge and thought, "hmm slim pickens." Then I got out my Bridal edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook (which as 1950's as it sounds, is actually a remarkable resource) and started flipping through the recipes for chicken - because after all, there was a bag of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer.
I stumbled upon a curry chicken recipe, and while we had zero of the ingredients for the accompanying chutney (yuck! who needs chutney anyway?), we did have half a container of sour cream, an onion, and by some small miracle - all the random spices for the sauce. We also had some leftover peas in the fridge and some instant brown rice in the pantry. How could I go wrong? So, while I was defrosting the chicken (thank god for microwaves) and getting the rest of the ingredients chopped/measured out in preparation, The Boy came downstairs to chit chat.
I pointed out to him that I was cutting the onion into large pieces so they'd be easy for him to pick out later. I also commented on how odd it is that he likes raw onion (on burgers & in salsa or guacamole for instance) but won't eat cooked onions in dishes. His answer was that cooked onions burn his tongue and that he only likes raw onion for the flavor. This made me laugh. I told him that if that were the indeed the case, he had it all backwards: cooked onions give things flavor, raw onions burn your tongue. He said (after some amount of arguing about the fact that cooking an onion depletes it of its spiciness) and I'm not making this up folks, "well, maybe someone put Tobasco on my onions while they were cooking and that's why they burn my tongue." Tobasco? For real? I said, "so for your whole life long, at both your mom's house and here, and in every restaurant you've ever been to, when you weren't looking, someone snuck Tobasco onto your onion bits so you'd think cooked onions were spicy?" Yes.
Are the deductive reasoning/logic skills of the average 10 year old boy so warped that he could seriously consider this a viable explanation? Apparently so. But he was lighthearted about the whole thing, so I'm fairly certain he wasn't overly convinced of his own argument -- just too invested to recant. Even so, he didn't eat any onions that night ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment