So exciting!
Omigosh. Little miss Mallory just rolled over from tummy to back 2x! I was futzing around with the sound on the computer (sometimes I am such an idiot). Of course there was no sound coming out of the speakers that, yes, were plugged into the right jack in the back, because the Skype headset was still plugged into one of the USB ports on the front. Sigh. Anyway, I'd put Mallory down on a blanket on the floor for some tummy time - something she kinda digs now. Well, she started making some fussy, "hey, I've about had it with this" sounds and I looked over to make sure she wasn't mashing her face into the floor. She was in fact, laying on her right side, so with no immediate SIDS threat, I went back to what I was doing. Then she made like she was going to fuss again and abruptly quit. I looked over and there she was on her back! Hurray baby! I put her back down on her tummy and said, "do it again! do it again!" And you know what? She did! So funny. She went right from tummy to sort of a twisted 1/2 on side-half still face down pose and took a good long break to chew on her fingers. Then she twisted her hips around, and viola! she was on her back again. I tried for a third time, but she wasn't having it.
And that's not all, no siree. She's figured a thing or two out about sleeping all of a sudden. Yesterday she skipped her afternoon nap and was utterly exhausted by 7pm. She zonked out so completely that she didn't even bother to swallow her last gulp of milk, nor did she so much as stir when I laid her down in her crib. Seeing as how she typically sleeps for 5hrs right off the bat, I was expecting to be awoken at midnight, and I was. After eating and a diaper change she fell back to sleep and I put her back in her crib. At 3:30, as also anticipated, she woke up again, only she wasn't crying and thrashing around like usual, she was just kind of complaining and laying there. So I stayed in bed and listened/watched on the monitor to see what would happen if I let well enough alone. She chewed on her hands for a minute or two and zonked right back out. Hurray baby! I'm so excited that she put herself back to sleep. And without a binky! I'm totally psyched, but not so naive to think that she'll get it together like that everytime. But, at 5am she woke up again. And again, she wasn't crying or even complaining, she was just playing. I was sort of watching/snoozing, and I'm real certain that she would have gone back to sleep, but I was about to explode so at 5:30 I went upstairs and fed her. After another diaper change she fell back to sleep again and although she woke right up when I laid her down, she chewed on her hands and put herself back to sleep. She did the same thing just now for her lunchtime nap too. Here's hoping she continues this awesome streak!
Oh, and you know what I love about the way she falls asleep in my arms? She smiles as she lets go of consciousness and drifts into dreamland.
No comments:
Post a Comment