Tuesday, December 23, 2008

6 Month Well Check

Mallory passed all the developmental milestones (transferring an object from one hand to another, turning her head when her name is called, sitting up, etc). But, our little string bean continues to be long and lean. She's in the 70th percentile in length (26in) and has now dropped from the 50th to the 30th percentile in weight. The doc said, "14-12? we'll take it." But, we're going to try and fatten her up with some avocado, egg yolk, whole milk yogurt, and meat. Getting her weight up should, in theory, help with the sleep issue she's surreptitiously slid into. She was doing really well after the post-Hawaii Ferber intervention. Then I guess I quit paying attention, because she's getting up twice during the night to feed now. Our doctor said, "quit feeding her - in fact do as little as possible when she wakes up." Sounds simple enough? And I would love it if she slept for the 9 hour stretches she's supposed to be capable of. I think my concern about her low weight in addition to my general lack of expertise in breast fed babies led me to believe that I should feed her when she wakes up at night. So we'll see how it goes. If Mallory gets too nutso, we've been told to give her a bottle of water. I'm anxious for our house guests to leave so we can get her back on a normal schedule - not that I don't love seeing/hosting them. It's just been hard on the baby. She's not sleeping, napping, or eating like she should.

No comments: